What is Google Merchant Center?
Before I answer the question “What is Google Merchant Center”, you need to understand what is Google Shopping. Google Shopping is a Google Service, which lists products from different online stores and compares prices between them.
Google Shopping integrates with Google Search. For example, whenever somebody searches for “Nike shoes”, Google will show the products listed on Google Shopping on the right-hand site as sponsored products.
When a user clicks on the link to see more options, he/she will be taken to the Google Shopping page. In Google Shopping page, a user can see a much bigger listing of products related to his query.
Users can also directly visit the Google Shopping page by opening following link in browser https://www.google.com/shopping.
Google Merchant Center allows you to upload your Shopify Product Listing to Google Shopping.
Why do you need Google Merchant ?
Following are the list of reasons for uploading your product listing to Google Merchant.
- To make your products visible whenever somebody is searching for them on Google.
- Create Google Shopping Campaign to curate the list of products you want your customers to see. More Details.
- Setup Direct Remarketing Ads to lure customers to buy products they have already seen on your site.
- Show availability for products in your local store, based on the whether the customer is near your store or not. More Details.
How to setup Google Merchant for Shopify
Create Google Merchant Center Account, go to https://www.google.com/retail/merchant-center .
Click on “Sign up” button
You will be asked to fill up few details to get started.
Accept terms and conditions
Final step would be Website Verification step
Click on the “Alternate methods” at the bottom and then click on “HTML tag” radio button
Copy the HTML tag from the text box and go to your Shopify Account’s Admin page. On the left-hand site navigation click on Online Store -> Themes. Click on “***” icon on the right-hand side. To edit theme, click on “Edit HTML/CSS”.
Open theme.liquid by clicking on Layout -> theme.liquid .
Scroll down theme.liquid and find </head>. Add the HTML meta tag that you copied from Google Merchant Setup page.
Click save and go back to Google Merchant Center. On the verify claim page, click on “Verify & Claim” button.
If you have followed mentioned steps, then you should get claim confirmation page.
Click Finish and you will be redirected to Google Merchant Center Dashboard.
Steps to upload Shopify product listing to Google Merchant Account
1. Install Google Shopping App from Shopify App Store.
2. Login into your Google Account. After that you will be shown a page to enter Google Merchant Center Account Number.
Go back to your Google Merchant Center, and copy the Account Number from top left hand side of the screen.
Enter this number into the Google Shopping screen setup and click .
3. After that you will be shown a Claim Domain screen. Since we have already claimed our site, we don’t need to do anything. Click the “Test your domain” blue button at the bottom to claim your site.
4. Once the verification is done, next step would be to set shipping rates. Go to your Google Merchant Dashboard, on the left hand column click on Settings -> Shipping. You should see a page something similar
Click on the red “Shipping Method” button and fill out the shipping method field, and click save.
Go back to your Shopify Admin page, and click “Test Shipping rate” button.
5. Next step would be to choose a collection you want to publish. For this post, I am using all the products in FieryBox store. Click on “Publish products” link.
6. If your products have all the detail as required by Google Merchant Center, then you don’t need this step. But if your product misses some detail then you will get an error page as shown below. If you are getting a page similar to this, then you need to resolve the reported errors.
To resolve the error click on a product that is giving the error. You should see something like this.
To resolve the error, fill the the following fields in the Product page
- Google Product Category
- Age Group
- Color Variant (At the bottom of the page you can find varient information)
After updating the information, click “Save & Publish button”. You should see a success message.
Head back to Google Merchant Center, and go to Products. You should see your products listed on right-hand side
In this article, I gave the overview of Google Merchant Center and how you can upload your Product listing to it. After uploading products to Google Merchant Center, you can take advantage of Google Shopping Product Listing, Google Product Ads, Google Local Ads.
In future posts I will go deep into Google Merchant Center, and cool things you can do after uploading your Product Listing. Till then “Sell More”.